Andrology is the study of male fertility. It is essential that the male partner in all infertile couples undergo a formal semen analysis to assess whether there is adequate sperm number and quality. We advise the man who is scheduled for semen analysis to abstain from sex for two to four days beforehand.
The semen analysis should include basic measures such as:
- Sperm concentration (number in a given volume of semen),
- Motility (quality of movement),
- Morphology (shape).
Normal results from a semen specimen are:
- The total ejaculate volume of semen is between a half and a whole teaspoon.
- Sperm Concentration should be >15 million/ml
- Sperm Motility should be >40%
- Sperm Morphology should be >4%
Complex Semen Analysis
We recommend a more complex semen analysis that includes additional assessment of washing the sperm to select the best moving and normally shaped sperm. The complex semen analysis is a feasibility test to determine what treatment options may be best. This process of washing is always performed in preparing sperm for intrauterine insemination therapy.
At Least 3 Million Total Number of Progressively Motile Sperm Need to be Recovered for IUI to be Effective
- At least 3 million total number of progressively motile sperm need to be recovered and placed in a woman’s uterus by intrauterine insemination (IUI) to be an effective fertility therapy.
- Alternatively, IVF therapy with Intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI) is a more effective treatment if less than 3 million progressively motile sperm are recovered by sperm wash.
In the event that the semen analysis is abnormal, it should be repeated to verify the abnormality. If abnormal semen analysis results are consistently observed, we may refer you to a urologist who specializes in male infertility. The evaluation of the male involves a thorough physical examination, possible ultrasound studies and hormonal testing.
Michigan Reproductive Medicine is a regional reference laboratory. We provide the entire range of Andrology Laboratory Services for our patients and for patients under the care of physicians who refer to MRM for fertility care. Your physician can complete and submit our Andrology Services Order Form for the specific testing you need. Test results including test interpretation by our expert infertility physicians are returned to your referring physician within one business day after the day of the test.